Not by bread alone...

Figuring out the food situation with six kids all with different tastes and abilities to cope with meal times has been interesting but so far, not as bad as I anticipated. For example, I was under the distinct impression the two girls recently home from Ethiopia would rather be dead than touch a vegetable. Then I made gommen, and Ethiopian dish which is steamed collard greens with garlic and a few other spices from the pantry, and they went nuts. Between the six kids, who all strangely love this dish, we have gone through FOUR POUNDS of collard greens since Saturday. I am not kidding.

Other sure fire foods, apple slices, peanut butter, scrambled and hard boiled eggs, protein bars dipped in peanut butter, strawberries, avacado.

The first day the girls were home I made a massive vat of fir fir for breakfast. Fir fir is like eating heaven sprinkled with love. It is not a health food, but rather ultra filling, ultra tasty comfort food it is also Ethiopian food that is impossible to mess up and is done in less than fifteen minutes.

Ready for the simplest recipe ever?

1/4 cup olive oil
1 onion, minced finely
5 cloves minced garlic
berbere 1-2 tablespoons, but if you need less go for it. I think it tastes bland with less than one 1 tbsp.
salt to taste
3 oz canned tomato paste
2 1/4 cups water
Injer, day old or two days is best. If you want to take two rounds out an hour before making so it dries a little that is good, too.

Saute onion and garlic dry for 2-5 minutes, add oil and saute another few minutes. Add ¼ cup water and berbere and stir till blended. Add 2 c. water and tomato paste. Bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Add broken-up injera. Stir until injera has soaked up all liquid, you can turn off heat.

Serve in some non-berbere soaked injera and watch your kids smile.


Kim said...

I'm a failure. I failed on the no-fail recipe. How pitiful. Is the injera really dry? The boys told me that it should be the texture of a chip when we use it. I'm wondering if my wasn't dry enough. Also, the boys love mangoes. E isn't a huge raw vegetable fan either, but he loves veggies in ET food...split peas, greens, green beans and carrots, beets and potatoes, etc. Dang, I'm getting hungry.

Owlhaven said...

OK, I'm having a major craving for fir fir......yummmmmmmm

The Lost Planetista said...

You're amazing. You have 6 kids AND you have the time to share recipes? I really do need to step up my game. Maybe tomorrow. :)

2plus2mom said...

Mmmmm...love it. I didn't realize the recipe was so similar to the shiro that I make...only difference is instead of adding the injera at the end, I add the shiro powder. Will definitely try the next time I have some injera.

-Special Mothertivity- said...

I'm feeling unfairly left out. How does one get their hands on berbere- if they didn't just get home from ET with their two daughters? and ingredients for Injera?

scooping it up said...

Kimberly, I am sorry it hasn't gone well. The first time I made this my injera had been sitting out on the counter for 1 day in a bag, not even close to crunchy. I thought it would have been fun if it had been left out in the air to get drier, but taste wise, the girls still loved it and it did taste authentic if slightly on the mushy side. The next time with drier, but still not super cripsy injera it was even better.

Special M: http://www.myspicesage.com/berbere-spice-p-61.html?CAWELAID=393232641&cagpspn=pe&gclid=CIa38tqQ17ICFYpQOgodVHAAvg

Nancy said...

I have the feeling that this is how you feel when u come to my blog and see a Viet recipe. It's looks YUMMY but I haven't a clue what half the ingredients are. We are going to have to get together some day and have an international food rest and get horribly fat. It will be divine. Nancy

three little birds said...

We made it today and it was amazing! Thanks you so much! My little Ethiopian ate fir fir until his tummy was firm and round, happy boy, happy mama